You have stumbled on our little corner of the Internet - we have a so much time, so little to do - strike that, reverse it. Stick with us, and we'll make the future an awesome place to hang out. Learn more about Florida Creatives

Recent News and Links

Florida Creatives Happy Hour, 3rd Mondays @ Crooked Bayou
Likemind Orlando, 3rd Fridays @ Drunken Monkey

Hosted by Xentek
Created with Drupal

Melbourne Hackerspace?

0 BookmarksLog in to bookmark

I'm new to the FL Creatives group - only been to one meeting but I like what I saw. I've read some of the coworking discussions in the forums but I find that my tastes lean towards a different yet similar direction - a hackerspace.

For everyone who doesn't know what a hackerspace is I'll explain. It's a shared space for electronics/computer hobbyists to ply their craft and meet with other people of a like mind. I know we've got a few web-type hackers in the group and I hope to make this something that appeals to them. But I know my interests and talents lie in electronics and programming - Arduinos, Python, solar cells, etc. I hope that there are others out there like me who want to put together a place with decent tools, equipment and space to make their hobby more enjoyable.

I'm not averse to extending the idea to encompass other things like coworking. I think it fits nicely in with the idea and I was always envisioning a lounge/computer area where people could comfortably work and have a cup of coffee. And it would have most of the things necessary for coworking anyhow - wireless, desk space, coffee, printers, office supplies, etc.

Anyone else out there who wants to see something like this? I'd love it if there were.

Groups:

4 comments

ryanprice's picture
ryanprice wrote 7 years 32 weeks ago

Hey Stephen, Thanks for

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for posting here. Since you created an account, I added "Arduino" to my "Interests" list on my profile here.

One thing you might try is hooking up with the RANDOM folks - Rapid Application Developers or Melbourne. I know they have meetups every now and again.

Also, if you are going to have a hack weekend out your way (or you'd like to see one happen in Orlando), I'd love to come.

I'll say again that you should plan on attending BarCamp Orlando April 3rd, and do a 20 minute talk about creating a hackerspace, or perhaps present some related topic, and bring up a hackerspace or Maker Faire at the end.

Matthew Closson wrote 7 years 32 weeks ago

Stephen, I also know of some

Stephen,

I also know of some local melbourne developers who are interested in starting to meet up for various reasons. We never discussed a hackerspace before but its a cool idea. I think for most of the people I know they have moved to more virtual spaces due to time constraints as opposed to a hackerspace type of thing. Email me or hit me up twitter or something and I can connect you to some more people who might be interested.

-Matt-

sfriederichs wrote 7 years 30 weeks ago

Matt, Don't use twitter and

Matt,

Don't use twitter and can't figure out how to find your email address in here. Come to think of it I doubt you could find mine :(

In any case while I'd love to have a hackerspace in Melbourne I've decided to first approach it by.. having something to offer. So I'm freeing up some of my time and money to actually work on projects so I can extend my skills, tools and experience for preparation of actually having a space. I think it might be nice if we could find a group of people to do a monthly meetup to just discuss projects and such and go from there.

gilcreque's picture
gilcreque wrote 7 years 23 weeks ago

This sounds like a great

This sounds like a great idea. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Please register or login to post a comment.
Syndicate content

Brevard

• You must login in order to post into this group.

Group notifications

This group offers an RSS feed. Or subscribe to these personalized, sitewide feeds:

Paying the Server Bill