You have stumbled on our little corner of the Internet - we have a so much time, so little to do - strike that, reverse it. Stick with us, and we'll make the future an awesome place to hang out. Learn more about Florida Creatives

Recent News and Links

Florida Creatives Happy Hour, 3rd Mondays @ Crooked Bayou
Likemind Orlando, 3rd Fridays @ Drunken Monkey

Hosted by Xentek
Created with Drupal

Anyone want to bring TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) to Brevard/Florida?

1 BookmarksLog in to bookmark

Hey All,

For anyone that knows about TED, I would like to look into forming a small committee of like minded people that would bring TED as a bi-monthly conference to Brevard County and Florida.

You can look more at it here at www.ted.com.

For anyone that doesn't know TED, I would suggest you look into it. It is a great experience and I would love to bring this kind of innovation to Brevard and Florida.

Right now I am looking for 2 or 3 well connected individuals that know about TED and what it does. I would be willing to head up the agenda and what not. I just need to see if the speakers could be filled for the first 2 conferences.

Groups:

7 comments

ryanprice's picture
ryanprice wrote 8 years 51 weeks ago

Hi Cheetah, Bringing

Hi Cheetah,

Bringing TED-like events is one of the goals of Florida Creatives.

Take a look at the Pecha Kucha nights in Jacksonville and the upcoming Ignite Orlando for some great examples.

Please include me in any plans you have for this. I would also recommend you create a group outside the existing Brevard group to help you facilitate events. Check the help wiki for instructions to create a group on the site.

Ryan Price
@liberatr

xentek's picture
xentek wrote 8 years 51 weeks ago

Can you really just throw a

Can you really just throw a TED event? I thought those were 'sacred' affairs organized by the people behind TED.

Do you know if the speakers are paid for being at TED?

--
Eric Marden
http://xentek.net

ryanprice's picture
ryanprice wrote 8 years 49 weeks ago

1. I think we would have to

1. I think we would have to come up with our own name for it

2. I would guess the speakers are paid. - I mean the event is supposedly $6K a head.

Other similar events include:
Interesting
Pop!Tech

Ryan Price
@liberatr

ryanprice's picture
ryanprice wrote 8 years 49 weeks ago

The very easiest way I see

The very easiest way I see to make something like this a huge success is to find an event where thousands of people are already paying attention and ride their coattails for a year or two. We just did a BarCamp as a part of CreateChaos08 and couldn't have been more pleased with the results.

We have some big ones in Orlando:
Orlando Fringe Festival 26,000 tickets distributed
Florida Film Festival 25,000 people
AntiPop 10,000 people
Florida Music Festival 25,000 people
and many others...

If we could tap even a small percentage of those people, we could have a really awesome event.

Ryan Price
@liberatr

Scott Pio wrote 8 years 48 weeks ago

Gents, TEDs is a creative

Gents,

TEDs is a creative commons liecnese, therefore it is allowed to be presented anywhere. It is already being planned here in Florida. More specifiaclly, Brevard county on the space coast.

The venue will be Florida Institute of Technology to start off with. Shooting for March 2009.

If your still interested, go to http://www.spoiledtechie.com/category/TED.aspx for all the details of the planner.

Side note: TEDs speakers come there for free, but they DO NOT get paid to speak. The $6,000 per person goes towards an endowment for scholarships at TEDs. If your interested in being a part of it, contact the guy at that address or just reply back to me.

Also, if you know any good speakers I would be more than willing to consider them. The speakers will be the hard part of TEDs in Florida.

loopy wrote 8 years 48 weeks ago

Interesting, Scott. Keep us

Interesting, Scott. Keep us posted. For some reason (gulp!) when I moved all my feeds earlier this year, I somehow lost your blog feed. Sorry about that. But please keep us posted here at F/C as well.

ryanprice's picture
ryanprice wrote 8 years 48 weeks ago

Scott, This sounds awesome.

Scott,

This sounds awesome. I hope we would be able to get some NASA guys -- also, this network is spreading farther all the time.

If you haven't seen Doterati yet, they might also have access to some different folks.

Last but not least, I'd point you at the Orlando Economic Development Commission. I just released a podcast with their PR director today, and we talk about all the awesome stuff that makes Central Florida so great. Hopefully you pick up some good ideas there.

Let's talk soon. I absolutely want to be involved.

Ryan Price
@liberatr

Please register or login to post a comment.
Syndicate content

Florida Creatives

• You must login in order to post into this group.

Group notifications

This group offers an RSS feed. Or subscribe to these personalized, sitewide feeds:

Paying the Server Bill