You have stumbled on our little corner of the Internet - we have a so much time, so little to do - strike that, reverse it. Stick with us, and we'll make the future an awesome place to hang out. Learn more about Florida Creatives

Recent News and Links

Florida Creatives Happy Hour, 3rd Mondays @ Crooked Bayou
Likemind Orlando, 3rd Fridays @ Drunken Monkey

Hosted by Xentek
Created with Drupal

Recent comments

• Florida Creatives Happy Hour #42   7 years 22 weeks ago

Excited to meet everyone!

• Creative Mind Experiment at the 2010 Orlando Fringe   7 years 22 weeks ago

This is great Ryan! Thank you!
    -Mariko

• A Community of Mentorship   7 years 22 weeks ago

Ryan, thanks so much for all the work you have done. I'm totally behind your vision for our community and am personally thankful for how you have supported not only the community but the individuals who make it up. I agree, these meet ups have been SO helpful in accomplishing any crazy idea I get. Orlando CANT go without these meetings. I will help do anything I can to help sustain it.

Karie

• Likemind.orl   7 years 22 weeks ago

Roslyn, we'd be happy to have you! Where do you live? What's your story? We'd love it if you register for the site. Links are in the upper right corner of the web site.

• Likemind.orl   7 years 23 weeks ago

I would to speak my positive mind to positive people!!

• A Community of Mentorship   7 years 23 weeks ago

Travis,

I'm glad you chimed in here. I know the Ft Lauderdale meetup could be something great - there are so many talented people in the wings down there - but I also know several people are also trying to start their own movements.

I'm glad to hear you're coming back - is it to stay (at least for a while)? At the same time, if you are coming back, that might be because something down South didn't work out. We should talk about it soon.

What I'd love to see is just a few people writing about Florida Creatives on their own blogs, twitter streams or other profiles - taking this group viral. 3 years ago, a few people asked about starting something similar in other states, like Michigan and Illinois. That's certainly possible, but I can only give advice - I can't be in 7 places at once. That's why I want to take a step or two back from my home city, and let it take on a life of its own. I think Gainesville, Lakeland, Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Sarasota and Southwest Florida are all good candidates for a sister meetup, and I've started reaching out to those places. Any in-roads you have there or further into South Florida would be a great help to the movement.

• A Community of Mentorship   7 years 23 weeks ago

Geoff,

If you haven't seen the link for New Media Orlando Meetup on May 11th, I'd invite you to take a closer look. This is a re-re-attempt at getting together the local community of podcasters, videobloggers, indie news writers, and anybody else who pushes out content in a professional or semi-journalistic way.

Our first few meetings will probably have an impact on the future of that meetup, but I bet things will change once the UrbanThink! re-opens - I can't say much about that in particular just yet, but I think you and the other SomaCows should be keeping your ears peeled.

• A Community of Mentorship   7 years 23 weeks ago

Erik, you and about 20 other people have "moderator" privileges on this site already. If you come across something you can't change, edit, or fix when you're logged in, let me know. Since you are sort of helping with the webmaster duties, I'll also get you the "super admin" password. If anybody else needs it, myself and Eric Marden are kind of the gatekeepers there.

I need to add the event for Battledecks at the Fringe Festival for May 24th, but I invite you to take action on the regular 3rd Monday happy hour. Actually I just realized that Fringe does not interfere with 3rd Monday this year... this is the first time in 4 years that's been true.

Here's what you do:

1. Go to a past Happy Hour, let's say April or March. You can find old events by hitting the Event Calendar, or through the Communities directory - old events will be in the right sidebar.
    2. Hit the "Clone" link in the tabs above the event title.
    3. Change the title (it will say "Clone of Florida Creatives Happy Hour #xx")
    4. Change the date (if a new year is starting, make sure you roll 2010 over to 2011)
    5. The location and some body text are already set. I try to edit the body text every 2 or 3 months. If a bigger event is coming up, like BarCamp, BlogOrlando, etc - I will try to name-check that in there.

I am going to make a Help wiki page for this process, so other people can follow it.

• Melbourne Hackerspace?   7 years 23 weeks ago

This sounds like a great idea. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• A Community of Mentorship   7 years 23 weeks ago

Yo Ryan, I hear you loud and clear on this. We are doing some big things here in South Florida and I will be back in Orlando in September to begin replicating it there. Let's talk soon.

• A Community of Mentorship   7 years 23 weeks ago

You are one eloquent dude. Thanks for trying to create a haven, even in the face of the Void. I can't tell you how many times I sat at work and watched the 6pm swing past, or sat in sleepy rage while another likemind coffee doo wop passed unjoined.

You have a stunning amount of passion and intellect. Go attach it to anything, and it will be better for you having done so.

• A Community of Mentorship   7 years 23 weeks ago

I'm definitely willing to stand up and start doing more to build our community. The happy hours are great, there is always a diverse set of individuals in attendance who have more in common than onlookers would think; We're all longing to make a difference in the world! I would absolutely love to see more new faces in the coming months, which is very possible. We all have friends, coleagues, acquaintences ... people we know that share our ambition for changing the world around us. How hard is it to invite some of those people we know to the next happy hour? not very! What does everyone else think? The FL Creatives community has lots to gain and nothing to lose by growing and developing further. Lets make it happen!

• Coworking in Tampa Bay   7 years 23 weeks ago

Oh the coffee machine... Like that's the most important feature.

Thanks for sharing this. For the curious kids out there, click the "Bay News 9" link to get the video. http://www.baynews9.com/VideoPlayer/?Coworking_45

• Brevard April Meetup   7 years 23 weeks ago

Mike - Yep, we're legal now! Neither of us backed out last minute or anything... The bunny is relieved that she no longer has owners who are living in sin!

• Brevard April Meetup   7 years 23 weeks ago

Meredith - are you and Chris all legit now?! I think I recall that the big day was last week, correct?! If so, congrats!

Tomorrow will be 50/50 for me to make it down - I'll do my best though!

-mike

• HollyPro   7 years 26 weeks ago

HOLLYWOOD PROFESSIONAL WORKSHOPS - Bringing Hollywood to You!

Hollywood Professional Workshops was created for the purpose of bringing top notch, successful, working professionals from all areas of the Hollywood film industry to cities across the country to share their knowledge with you. Our workshops provide a rare opportunity to learn from, perform for, and study with seasoned professionals, each of whom have more than 25 years experience in their field.

We are constantly planning new workshops in cities all across the country. Join our email list to make sure you don't miss out on the next oppportunity in your area.

www.HollywoodProfessionalWorkshops.com

Please check our website for classes in Florida and Georgia!

• Angelsoft: Find early stage funding in your area   7 years 27 weeks ago

Thanks for the kind words! What makes Angelsoft so useful is not just its feature set (which is extremely powerful, being the result of five years of continuous development by a world-class tech team), but also the connectivity/collaboration it enables. Angelsoft has become the de facto standard for the global early stage financing industry, and is now used by over 500 angel investment groups, venture capital funds and corporate investment teams in 45 countries to process funding applications from entrepreneurs.

The numbers are revealing: the platform is currently servicing over 20,000 individual accredited angel investors and VCs, who in aggregate review a staggering 3,000+ business plans each month. We're looking forward to adding a wide variety of tools for both entrepreneurs and investors in the coming months that should (if we do our job right) make Angelsoft the universal toolkit for every high-growth startup seeking equity funding. Stay tuned for some exciting things to come!

-David S. Rose
    CEO, Angelsoft

PS: Emurse looks pretty cool. If you guys are still involved with the product post-AOL, you might want to drop me a note to see if there's some way we can work together...

• Brevard March Meetup   7 years 28 weeks ago

Well, even if this had been posted earlier, I still would not have been able to make it, due to the fact that I was attending Photoshop World over in Orlando.

• Brevard March Meetup   7 years 28 weeks ago

Mike and I will be on our way home from Jacksonville - I think I will not make it. Melbourne is a big detour.

• Brevard March Meetup   7 years 28 weeks ago

Sounds good see you there

• Likemind.orl   7 years 29 weeks ago

There is a neat video from an event in Tampa hosted by PSFK, the folks who created Likemind in the first place:

• Florida Creatives Happy Hour #40   7 years 29 weeks ago

Yes, folks, the Crooked Bayou will be hosting our monthly gathering once again. Some of our brothers and sisters are in Austin for South by Southwest, so let's send them a shout!

* BarCamp Orlando is coming up April 3rd at Wall Street Plaza (during the day). Check out BarCampOrlando.org for more information and registration info. Everyone on this list should be planning on attending, and preparing to lead a discussion too!

* I'm interested in putting together a news/media/new media meetup for folks that are interested in blogging, hyperlocal news, videoblogs, podcasts, etc. Talk to me if you're interested.

Crooked Bayou is located on Central Blvd in downtown Orlando, across the street from the Library and the History Center. We don't wear nametags at our meetups, but we're still pretty easy to find.

Mondays at Crooked Bayou are 10 cent wings, and there are 2-for-1 drinks until 7pm - our event is 6pm to 9pm.

• Melbourne Hackerspace?   7 years 30 weeks ago

Matt,

Don't use twitter and can't figure out how to find your email address in here. Come to think of it I doubt you could find mine :(

In any case while I'd love to have a hackerspace in Melbourne I've decided to first approach it by.. having something to offer. So I'm freeing up some of my time and money to actually work on projects so I can extend my skills, tools and experience for preparation of actually having a space. I think it might be nice if we could find a group of people to do a monthly meetup to just discuss projects and such and go from there.

• Burrow Press Launch Party and Book Signing   7 years 30 weeks ago

As both a new writer and someone new to the community I am certainly planning to attend this event. From what I've read I'd love to work with Burrow on the novel I've been fiddling with forever.

• Melbourne Hackerspace?   7 years 31 weeks ago

Stephen,

I also know of some local melbourne developers who are interested in starting to meet up for various reasons. We never discussed a hackerspace before but its a cool idea. I think for most of the people I know they have moved to more virtual spaces due to time constraints as opposed to a hackerspace type of thing. Email me or hit me up twitter or something and I can connect you to some more people who might be interested.

-Matt-