You have stumbled on our little corner of the Internet - we have a so much time, so little to do - strike that, reverse it. Stick with us, and we'll make the future an awesome place to hang out. Learn more about Florida Creatives

Recent News and Links

Florida Creatives Happy Hour, 3rd Mondays @ Crooked Bayou
Likemind Orlando, 3rd Fridays @ Drunken Monkey

Hosted by Xentek
Created with Drupal

Meetup Votes

0 BookmarksLog in to bookmark

We'll close the poll down end of this week. So far, 10 of the current 17 members have voted and it's looking like Thursday night (5 votes) is winning swimmingly. However, we'll give it to the end of the week if anyone else wants to chime in. Saturday morning (2 votes) and Tuesday evenings (3 votes) have some interest as well.

We'll start a new poll next week to determine where we meet. Feel free to comment to this post with some suggestions to toss up on the poll.

In the meantime, keep forwarding on our sites URL (http://floridacreatives.com/group/brevard) to other folks in Brevard that may be interested. Coworkers and business partners are a great place to start.

Groups:

18 comments

Tight Line Prod... wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

So when is the first

So when is the first meeting?

gswd's picture
gswd wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

And where? If we are

And where?

If we are following what I see as the current vote count, it still looks like a Thursday evening someplace with food and drinks. Of course it also needs to be able to accommodate up to 18 people that would be milling around and hopefully talking.

feravolo wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

Thursday Night sounds good,

Thursday Night sounds good, the bar at the Holiday Inn in Cocoa Beach is the right size. We had a group that meet there a couple of years ago with about 30 people and you should be able to order food as well as booze.

loopy wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

Okay, ya'll. Sorry I've been

Okay, ya'll. Sorry I've been AWOL the past few days. I was hoping for suggestions. I'll be really surprised if we get 18 people at our first meetup. In fact, I'll be so shocked that I'll roll over and play dead right there in front of everyone.

I'm thinking 3-5 will probably make it. But maybe upwards of 10. I imagine people will come and go.

GSWD, you are right that it looks like Thursday evening looks to be a favorite for everyone. I hope the other folks who voted for other days will still try to make it and join us.

While I don't want to taint things by suggesting a place quite yet, I think we can agree it has to be no further south than 192 (Melb/W. Melb) and no further north than 520 (Cocoa/Merritt Island).

And as much as I hate to ask our beach-bound brethern to once again hop across the causeway and risk a speeding ticket, I'm thinking we should shoot for the mainland.

However, I'm fully open to suggestions. If it has to be Cocoa Beach or Melbourne Beach, so be it.

From what I see from the Orlando group, the key is to find a decent spot, relatively centrally located and then be consistent about it (see great advice from Ryan here). So, please suggestions. If you are on Facebook, join the FloridaCreatives group there and check out the photo of the Crooked Bayou where they've been meeting. Nice atmosphere it looks to be.

Although they've discussed whether or not to continue meeting in a bar, I think I'd rather us just save that discussion for later. At this point, any place that has food, some kind of drinks, and a decent atmosphere that isn't club-jammin' packed or library-quiet is probably just fine.

And to add yet another caveat to the whole deal, I think it would be awesome if we could go and support a local business rather than some corporate chain, but beggars can't be choosers.

So, what's your suggestions everyone?

Tight Line Prod... wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

If you can afford to live on

If you can afford to live on the beach you can afford to come to the mainland! ;) Anywho, my vote is for somewhere in downtown melbourne. The Sunshop is fine, but I'd much prefer a place with alcohol since it seems to ease social awkwardness. :D I highly doubt anyone is going to get retardedly drunk and fall down at a Florida Creatives meeting.

tmermis's picture
tmermis wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

Too funny! I don't drink but

Too funny! I don't drink but if it would help the cause to get some great publicity for the group I will drink a teacup full of booze, get fall down drunk and give us a whole new reputation!

I look forward to meeting everyone no matter where we end up, but my vote is for good food, and drink and a relaxed environment. Internet access optonal, then again I have a Verizon anywhere card ;-)

Terri

loopy wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

Woops. You can see more pics

Woops. You can see more pics of the Florida Creatives "hit" event here on the F/C website. My bad. Plus, good comments by Ryan about the beauty of their location and how it has helped the group grow overtime.

gswd's picture
gswd wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

Well, I don't get out much

Well, I don't get out much so I really don't have much in the way of suggestions. Also, I don't know how the group is about smoking. I am a non-smoker and prefer to stay away from places that are "smoke filled rooms" (maybe one of the reasons I don't go out much anymore).

It is outside of the "zone of comfort" that you previously mentioned, and I have never been there so I do not know if it would truly work for us, but I was thinking that The Sandbar at Capt Hirams (http://www.hirams.com/SandBar.cfm) might be an idea. For me it would be an hour drive, so if we are looking for someplace close that could be a weekly spot, maybe not. I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there.

Also, since I don't think I know anybody in this group yet, how will we know who is who and whether we are the first person there or the last person there? I could just see myself sitting someplace drinking a Dr Pepper and eating a plate of Cheesy Fries and never know whether anyone in the group showed up. I'm just thinking out loud again.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting something going, since it seems that everything is happening in O-town.

loopy wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

Kermit the Frog with Sesame

Kermit the Frog with Sesame Street News here. Reporting Live!

Seriously, I'll be in downtown Melbourne tonight at SunShoppe. Ostensibly to work. So, since this will be a Thursday night, I thought I'd walk the streets, a lonely six-string on my back... okay, sorry about the Bon Jovi reference.

Seriously (again), I'm going to take a stroll around 6pm and see what looks good. Of course, I visited DowntownMelbourne.com first this morning to refresh myself on what's available. Yes, it's the "official" site of the Downtown Melbourne Merchant Association, just in case you couldn't tell by the cool javascript time and temperature banner, plus the nifty hit counter (he says with sarcasm dripping from his chin). Anywho, refreshing myself on all the available options via the web, I thought... ah, screw it! I'll just hoof it the old fashioned way. There are a lot of cool new businesses in the past few years that I haven't even set foot in.

I think we can rule out Meg's (always too crowded) although everyone loves Meg's. I'll have a chance to see places in action, but I'm mostly looking for atmosphere and a chance to grow.

Hiram's and Email Replies: Jessica replied via email and said, "Hirams is waaaay too far for a weekly Brevard meeting." That's kind of a no-no, Jessica. You have to post to the comments directly or else everyone will think I'm just making up stuff [grin]. But we grant you this one exception. Plus, I kind of agree with her. If I disagreed, I probably would have just hit delete... ha ha. Seriously, when you hit reply your comments go to Ryan Price in Orlando (who manages the floridacreatives website). He was kind enough to forward that one.

Technically, also, Hiram's is in Indian River County, which would be a bit tricky, considering we are supposedly a Brevard Group. Or will be. But it does have nice atmosphere - that's true. Anyone know a similarly-styled place here?

Meeting Frequency: Just so everyone knows, Orlando only meets once a month. If we can even drum up that sort of consistency and regularity with at least a few steadfast attendees, I'll be happy. I see the mention of "weekly" meetings, but I'm guessing most of us will be too busy to attend weekly, although there's certainly nothing wrong with smaller subset's of folks wanting to meet more frequently. Wow... just the thought of sub-groups with various other meetings makes me all achy-breaky. I figured it would be a year or more before the subject was even breached. But it's good to see people this interested.

My original "vision" (for lack of a better word) was that we'd eventually be big enough that certain sub-groups would have their own meetings. Like maybe Graphic Artist's who meet early Saturday mornings (you don't expect code guys to be up early, do you?), and maybe our Marketing/Branding folks meeting for a Power Lunch every now and then. That sort of thing. And then we'd have our regular monthly official "everybody" meeting which would be more social in nature.

I wasn't going to mention that idea quite so early (didn't want to distract from overall goal), but that's just food for thought. But we have to be getting 10-20 peeps regularly for there probably to be enough people to even have one or two subgroups. Although, hopefully people will make friends and get to hang-out or [insert trendy word here] "co-work" [/insert] on their own. At the least, I'm just hoping no one becomes enemies... ha ha.

Identification: GSWD makes the point about sitting alone eating Cheesy Fries. Personally, I'm opposed to Cheesy Fries, so that might be his first mistake. Seriously, on our first meeting, I'll probably post what I'll be wearing ahead of time. My pic is on my profile here (and I suggest others add their's too), so hopefully that will be enough. We're looking to choose a place that is laid back enough that it will just be 'patently obvious' that it's us and we'll eventually even have a regular table. Just like Fonzi. And we'll have to kick other people out of "our table". Probably with violence. So be prepared.

In other words, we hopefully won't pick a place so busy that we have to have one of those signs like the limo drivers do at the airport and have to mount it on the wall over the table.

Smoking: I hadn't even thought about this one, but I don't think there's any worries here. Almost every place with real food is non-smoking. If more than 10 percent of an establishment's gross receipts are food-related, they have to be non-smoking indoors. If they have a deck outside, that can be smoking. I don't want to discriminate against our smoking brothers and sisters. One good thing about places like downtown Melbourne is that you don't feel like a social pariah by stepping outside to light up. People are walking by, others are smoking too, it's comfortable. I just hate seeing someone have to step outside in front of a Chili's or something. The only people out front are smokers looking like misbehaving children. Seems unfair.

In Summary: You know you are struggling with brevity when you have to put an "in summary" conclusion to your comment.

Bottom line is I'll be at SunShoppe tonight around 5pm onward. If you want to stop by and help walk the streets around 6pm, feel free. Maybe we'll find a great spot. I'll be wearing a Miami Dolphins shirt. Considering their record last year, I'm fairly confident I'll be the only one in all of downtown Melbourne wearing one so I should be easy to spot.

Jessica wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

I live and work in Downtown

I live and work in Downtown Melbourne and as convenient as it sounds, I wanted to include my husband (does the same type of work) but we have other plans tonight. :(

Sorry about hitting reply, I figured it wouldn't work out the way I wanted it to, but it was worth a try!

Mainstreet is fine although their server people suck ass on the weekend, but maybe we can avoid that type of crappiness if we go during the week, I dunno.

Island Pasta gets really loud around dinner time and can be kinda crowded, although they do have a spiffy extra room for banquets if we ever want to feel really special.

We could go upscale and do Lexi or Moonstruck. Or just default to the normal meet-up spot at the Sunshoppe.

sergio wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

Sergio Since I'm new to the

Sergio

Since I'm new to the group, no really knows what to expect from me. So, I'll go ahead and throw this one out for debate: Lou's Blues - it's on the beach near the intersection of A1A and Eau Gallie.

It's not a bad spot and it shouldn't break you if you're on a budget.

MONDAY - FRIDAY

11 AM - 7 PM

$1.50 DOMESTIC BOTTLED BEERS

$1.50 WELLS

$2.00 MINI MENU (the food isn't bad...typical burger, hot dog, fries, etc.)

$3.00 IMPORTS

There's even a deck upstairs with ocean view. If you're the type that loves to really get crazy after a few drinks, the beach is within "falling" distance.

Sergio

AllBrevard wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

Greetings, I would like to

Greetings,

I would like to recommend Main Street Pub in downtown Melbourne. If we gave them notice, I'm sure we could reserve the upstairs (indoor) bar which includes an open patio for smoking. Main Street has full bar, terrific food and a great staff.

Lou's Blues on the beach would also be fun but I don't think it would ever be quiet enough for a group like ours.

Warren

gswd's picture
gswd wrote 9 years 12 weeks ago

loopy wrote 9 years 11 weeks ago

Hey, are you trying to

Hey, are you trying to one-up the Downtown Melbourne's website in terms of ugliness? Man, that CocoaVillage.com sent me into convulsions. Gasp... gasp... must hit Alt-F4...

gswd's picture
gswd wrote 9 years 11 weeks ago

Fortunately, I am not

Fortunately, I am not responsible for the design of that site. It's just the one that seems to have the requisite information on it. And anyway, it says that they have been on the webs since 1996, so they haven't updated it since then, maybe there aren't enough advertisers that are willing to trust a website that accepts digital monies (like e-gold). I mean if they accepted PayPal, sure.

And anyway, Key Lime Green and Lemon Yellow don't scream out "I've got yummy food" to you? :) hehe

Alex Rudloff wrote 9 years 11 weeks ago

What about Conch Key Grill

What about Conch Key Grill off of us1 next to pineda? It's a hiram-y type place that has tons of space for us to find an area to take over. Kathryn went to a young professionals meeting there and really liked it.

cheetahtech wrote 9 years 10 weeks ago

Why not Island Pasta and get

Why not Island Pasta and get the room in the back. I know on slow nights, they open that room up for people that make reservations.

I had a boss come in from out of town and asked for the place in the back of Island pasta. Made reservations and they sat us back there with no extra fee. We had one server and no one bothered us the entire night. That room could easily fit 30+.

I would suggest maybe calling them up and tell them you want to meet a night there and ask for the QUIET Room in the back. I imagine they would love 10 guests.

I know I only had I think around 9 people there and they loved us.

fishyboy wrote 9 years 6 weeks ago

The location makes it super

The location makes it super easy to get to from anywhere and has lots of parking. It is nothing remotely like the old on tap.

It's a fun place to go, but don't take my word. Check it out for yourself.

I don't think they are trying to be a bar, although they have a great bar. (make that 3).

They have a great staff and serve food late into the night.

Brevard needs more places like grill 192.

Please register or login to post a comment.
Syndicate content

Brevard

• You must login in order to post into this group.

Group notifications

This group offers an RSS feed. Or subscribe to these personalized, sitewide feeds:

Paying the Server Bill